3D-printed Solitary Bee Habitats

We designed these 3-D printed bee habitats for solitary bees to have a safe, clean, dry place to lay their eggs and for humans to have a beautiful and easy way to encourage bees into their backyard.

Most people know that honeybees live in large colonies and are ruled by a queen. Honeybees only make up 10% of the bee population, while solitary bees, such a mason, leafcutter, carpenter, and sweat bees make up the other 90%. 

Solitary bees, unlike honeybees and bumblebees, do not have a queen nor live in large colonies. The female lays her eggs in individual tubes in reeds, wood, or the ground. They are non-territorial and docile as they do not have a large colony or queen to protect. Solitary bees are all around us, too busy about their work to bother with humans, which makes them ideal bees for your backyard and public spaces.

Our habitats are approximately 8" long with interchangeable cap designs, inspired by a different type of pollinator plant. After some field testing of prototypes, we plan to offer the habitats for sale in the future along with a downloadable 3D version so that anyone can make their own solitary bee habitat.

 

 

3D printed Ceramic Bee Habitats

A variation of our 3D printed plastic habitats, these ceramic designs are the beginning stages of our experimentation with more sustainable materials. Theses designs allow cardboard tubing or reeds to be placed in the open spaces of the pattern, creating an inviting nesting location for mason bees, sweat bees, leaf cutter bees and more! 

These structures stand approximately 7.5" high, and can we easily hung on a fence post, tree, or shed.

 
IMG_7072.JPG

Bumblebee Habitat

Our Bumblebee habitat design is designed to be buried underground with the floral bronze medallion lid marking the location above ground. Bumblebees prefer ground nesting locations because the earth helps to insulate their hives. Normally they are attracted to shady areas and piles of dead leaves, brush and soft organic materials to build their nestsRemnants from mouse nests are particularly attractive.